Thursday, September 27, 2012

You Get 2 Things...

On Facebook I recently saw a good family friend and father of 2 boys make a comment about the way they've handled kids extracurricular activities:

"You Get 2 Things"

This isn't necessarily the small clubs or the groups that meet on occasion.  Instead, it's the more involved activities that require practices or a continued in-depth commitment.

Let me start by admitting, I have never been good about following this advice in my own life.  However, as I peer into the future of my own children's lives, I'm starting to consider if this is chocked full of wisdom.

What is it that drives us to be involved in numerous activities?  Do we do it simply for application filler?  If so, would a scholarship committee or college still be impressed if we did a few things well instead of being over-committed?  Is it a result of our children's desire to be recognized and needed?  If so, are we doing our role as a parent to meet that desire?  Is it parent's living vicariously through their children?

As evidenced by the previous paragraph, I have more questions than answers.  I know that the answers for each are unique.  There are some over-arching ideas, however, that I think should play into how you answer the question of, "To do or not to do?"

  1. Is this healthy for our family?  Physically, emotionally, AND spiritually, is participating in this going to be a healthy option for EACH member of the home?  There are times when we have to make sacrifices, but take time to consider if this is asking too much of any one member or the whole family unit.
  2. Does this nurture or utilize my child's giftedness? As children reach their pre-teen and teen years, you can really start to identify the gifts and abilities that God has given them.  Will the activity they are interested in help grow and use what God has blessed them with?
  3. What will this teach my child about priorities? I believe that priorities is the #1 thing that is caught not taught to our children.  The way we live our lives and the things we choose to do will impact how your children make decisions forever.  What will joining this team or leading this club teach your kid about the priorities in their life?  Also, are you willing to live out the same priorities that you expect your kids to have?
I'm really interested to hear back from you as I prepare for the onslaught of sign-ups, permission slips, and registration fees!  I'm a young dad in need of your help:

Is the "Rule of 2" a good one?

Is the "Rule of 2" practical or possible?

Comment below!

Taking Root,
Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment