Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Choosing to Remember

This morning my twitter feed has been bombarded with tweets about 9/11 and remembering those who serve.

One from Louie Giglio in particular caught my attention:

He included a picture of the tower.  Before seeing that picture, my mind recalled this one:



9/11 was a sobering day.  It made the world real again.  It put our beloved America in a state of panic and concern.  It brought many who had never been there to their knees.

In the Bible, ashes were often a symbol of one's recognition of their humiliation in a situation and the realization that we are finite beings in God's greater world.

And so today, I do remember and hope that America is truly rising from the ashes.  My prayer is that our country would be rising back not to national pride or arrogance, but rising back to a love and respect for the God who is greater.  In doing that, it is not my responsibility to point the figure at political or even spiritual figureheads in our country, but the responsibility of rising out of the ashes to return to a right relationship with God begins with me.

Will I remember that God is greater?

Will I live with pride and arrogance or with humility and grace?

How will you choose to remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment