Tuesday, May 27, 2014

SCHOOL IS OUT!

SCHOOL IS OUT! IT'S TIME TO PARTY!

Ok. It really doesn't make that big of difference to me since I am 27 years old and have been out of school for a while now. Although it may not have a huge impact in my day to day life, there is a part of me that enjoys a strange internal vacation whenever summer is here. I recollect memories of playing in the swamp, running around the woods with nothing on but shorts and sneaking into my neighbors pool when they were on vacation.

I possess both a blessing and a curse in that my long-term memory is quite sharp and leaves me with a vivid picture of my life experiences. I still taste the good and smell the bad of things long gone. With that said I don't think there will ever be a better moment in life than right now.

Right now allows me to recall the amazing pleasures of the past and leaves me with the hope of great things to come. I can easily bring back the terrible feelings of loss, heartbreak and hurt; which through much time, prayer and tears taught me some invaluable lessons.

You may scoff at what I say and point out "You have no idea what I am going through!" To an extent you are right! I have no Idea what you are going through! I don't know what it feels like to grow up in your environment or surround myself with the people you chose. I don't know what it feels like look like you, talk like you or be you. I can, however, turn that accusation around and say you have no idea what it feels like to be me.

On the other hand, I know exactly how it feels to be you. I have felt pain, sadness and loss. I have laughed uncontrollably and have been tempted in incredible ways. There is no way we can quantify who has suffered more or experienced more joy. For one person a dog dying would mean a loss of a dear companion, while for another it would be a release from taking care of an obnoxious and intrusive creature.

We share in humanity. In our lives we need a source of hope and joy in sadness. A source of serenity in turmoil. A source of celebration in defeat. I have found that source and I pray that you too may find it. With that source, you too may say with all honesty that today is a day of rejoicing!

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.
The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights.
-Habakkuk 3:17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment